Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to California Metal Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Advice for newbies. All opinions welcome
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 02:35 AM (252 Views)
JimClick
Member Avatar
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporters
I am an advanced metal detectorist. My son is 13 years old and very eager to learn.

But I was so happy to have a hunting buddy in my son, that I brought him to sites impossible to learn at. Experienced guys know the sites that ooze with age and are either so hunted out that the signals are rare, or so trash filled that you have to dig a hundred bad targets for every good.

Needless to say, Lucas is discouraged. And I failed him in teaching him metal detecting.

So, advice I want to give to my son and every newbie:

To start with, metal detecting is a hobby, you arenít going to get rich in a day. The possibility is always there, but honestly, itís not going to happen. Enjoy the excitement and the sunshine.

Begin with easy, close to the surface targets. Just learn what your machine is telling you.

Begin with parks, and dig loose change. It will keep it interesting for you. Every detector will tell you what coin you are digging nowadays. You may even find a silver ring in the process. I once found a heavy mans gold wedding band that looked like it would be a zinc penny on my machine.

Ok, my most important advice: Learn to recover your targets quickly. Just dig fast, learn how to do it, with a pin pointer. Just dig your target and move on. I can easily dig 30-40 targets per hour. If you spend 10-15 minutes for each target, you are going to end up with a pouch full of 37 cents at the end of the day,and you are going to think metal detecting sucks. It does not. You have to learn how to do it properly.

My boy Lucas and I compared a signal today. We both agreed that it was a coin near the surface. He then proceeded to dig out a bunch of dirt, which he lost the coin in. Be smart about your digging. Metal detecting is a numbers game. The more you dig, the more you will find. Period.

And the more you find, the more you will enjoy this hobby.

Ok, thatís all for today. Except to say. Most of my friends are happy to spend thousands of dollars to hit a little white ball around grassy fields for no reason. You can go ahead and shoot me if my life becomes that pointless. Letís just go look for buried treasure, and realize the reward is in the search, And not in what we find. But we will find some great stuff along the way.

Happy Hunting,
JimClick

Metal detecting is not a crime.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BerntOut
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
GREAT ADVICE!
**DIG-IT**
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Help for Beginners · Next Topic »
Add Reply