Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to California Metal Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to get pix to show in posts (without having to click on a link); the secret recipe
Topic Started: Jan 28 2011, 03:26 PM (7,829 Views)
Tom in Salinas
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A few of you have asked how to get your pix to show up in the post, w/o the readers having to click on the link, to open. Well...... we normally charge $20 for how to access this "secret James Bond method", but for you guys ..... it's gonna be free today!! :comfort:

This assumes you've already figured out how to use the forum's own attachment/browse function. Therefore, you already have your pix on there, yet it's in the form of a link that readers must further click on.

Here's what you do: load up as you normally would. Then click on your own picture. Once you do that, you'll be looking at your own picture, via the forum's server, right? Now notice at your top address box, is the actual address of that picture, in the server location of where it's at, right? Ie.: "http://blah blah.....". Click into that box, and highlight the entire address of that. Then right click, and "copy" it. (or you can simply write down the address on scratch paper temporarily).

Next, go back to your post. Click "edit", so you can change your own post. Insert ("paste") that same address link you've captured, wherever .... in your text .... you intend for the picture to appear. Add this to the beginning of the address though: [img] And then add this, to the end of that address: [/img] Now click that you are done editing, and return to the forum.

Now when you go click on your post, your pix will be there.

A word to the wise though: Get your pix down to about 100 to 200 kb-ish. I use paint shop program on my computer to do this. The "stretch/skew" command, and just tell it shrink the pix by 30% x 30%. There are other programs (photshop, etc...). If you need help doing that, let us know, and someone can chime in with better instruction for that part. Because dig. cameras nowadays tend to make them 1.2 or 1.4 mb, etc... The reason is, so that in case the person taking the pix, intends to have it blown up full size or whatever. But this leaves them way too large for a forum like this, with no internal correcting fail-safes.

Hope that helps everyone who's been asking. Practice on the "testing" section of this forum, to make sure you got it down pat.
Edited by Tom in Salinas, Jul 17 2013, 04:38 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bibleman
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WTG Tom; your a welcome instructor!! Some time back I remember you responed to my asking how it's done! BIG CONGRATULATIONS for this post! ! !

I hope everyone takes the time to learn this proceedure! My didgital camera has settings to srink the pictures prior to taking them, it's for those who may want to email them. That mode works well for uploading to this forum, far to many post are with super size pictures. My wife has an HP copier with a photo program, I also use that to crop and inhance the photos, it makes a much better presintation!

Blessings!

Curt
Edited by Bibleman, Jan 28 2011, 04:38 PM.

BerntOut
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm gonna try it right now!

YAY! :yay: :yay: I finally figured it out!

THANK YOU TOM! Your instructions were good for me. I hope others can/will use them.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1282023RS.jpg (105.5 KB)
Edited by BerntOut, Jan 28 2011, 06:46 PM.
**DIG-IT**

sjbrian
Member Avatar
give me a title to put here
[ *  *  * ]
i have an account with fotki.com, for $99, you can get 10 years of unlimited storage. i can upload millions of photos. from there, you can get a link for each photo to share anywhere. also control C copies and control V pastes
Posted Image
Edited by sjbrian, Jan 28 2011, 07:00 PM.
Have a new photo site. Check out my stuff at http://public.fotki.com/sjbrian/

My webpages are finally up and functional. please visit and make a new bookmark
sjtreasurehunters.net
Posted Image

moseng
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Good info Tom!! And funny picture Brian! Were you digging to China? ;)

To add to this there are plenty of free photo sites you can use like www.flickr.com or http://photobucket.com/ are a couple. That way you can keep a history of your finds if you want. I use www.smugmug.com but it's a pay site. I like photography and it's a way to keep backups just in case.

Posted Image

captn_fi
Member Avatar
DEEP SILVER !!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Insert ("paste") that same address link you've captured, wherever .... in your text .... you intend for the picture to appear. Add this to the beginning of the address though: [img] And then add this, to the end of that address: [/img] Now click that you are done editing, and return to the forum.

Another way instead of actually typing "[img]" and "[/img]" would be to simply click the "Image" button and then just paste your picture address link in the popup window, then click "OK".

HH,
CAPTN
Dan

Posted Image

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Image_button.jpg (52.93 KB)
Attachments: Image_button_b.jpg (63.88 KB)
Edited by captn_fi, Jan 28 2011, 10:56 PM.
Explorer SE Pro; X-1 Target Probe; ML Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Sunray X8, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, 1050 Coils; Killer B's Headphones; Lesche Digger with Buzz Wilson T-Handle; Ansell Hyflex Lite Gloves; Gear Keeper/Ergo Kneel; Silky Pocketboy 130 folding saw(large teeth)

staydetuned
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hehe, love the pic Brian :)
San Francisco by way of Orange County, CA. Explorer II.

BerntOut
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
captn_fi
Jan 28 2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:

Insert ("paste") that same address link you've captured, wherever .... in your text .... you intend for the picture to appear. Add this to the beginning of the address though: [img] And then add this, to the end of that address: [/img] Now click that you are done editing, and return to the forum.

Another way instead of actually typing "[img]" and "[/img]" would be to simply click the "Image" button and then just paste your picture address link in the popup window, then click "OK".

HH,
CAPTN
Dan

Posted Image

Posted Image
Good info Captn. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks! :beers: However, maybe you cn learn a new trick on how to resize your great posts so I don't have to scroll to the right to see all your finds! :bounce: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :kj: :kj: :spaz:
Edited by BerntOut, Jan 29 2011, 06:35 AM.
**DIG-IT**

captn_fi
Member Avatar
DEEP SILVER !!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Good info Captn. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks! However, maybe you can learn a new trick on how to resize your great posts so I don't have to scroll to the right to see all your finds!

Hey Bernt. I don't need to learn how to do that because I don't have that problem. :kj: :bounce:

Your screen resolution on your computer is too low....you either need to increase your screen resolution on your PC or simply hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keypad while pressing the "-"(minus) key. That should reduce the pic size on the screen so you don't have to scroll to see my pics (zoom out function). While holding down the 'Ctrl' key, each successive press of the 'minus' key will zoom out your browser window one step further. To get your browser window back to your default size, hold down "Ctrl" key while pressing the "0" (zero) key. To zoom in on a pic further, hold down the 'Ctrl' key while pressing '+' key.

My screen resolution is 1900 x 1200 pixels, and my pics are never over 1300 pixels wide. I realize that there's many PC users still using lower resolutions than 1300 pixels wide, but I like them larger to see more detail.

So 'Ctrl' '-' (minus key) to zoom out, 'Ctrl' '+' to zoom in, and 'Ctrl' '0' (zero) to reset zoom size. :morebeer: :comfort:

HH,
CAPTN
Dan
Edited by captn_fi, Jan 29 2011, 10:37 AM.
Explorer SE Pro; X-1 Target Probe; ML Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Sunray X8, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, 1050 Coils; Killer B's Headphones; Lesche Digger with Buzz Wilson T-Handle; Ansell Hyflex Lite Gloves; Gear Keeper/Ergo Kneel; Silky Pocketboy 130 folding saw(large teeth)

BerntOut
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yep that works and that is how I usually view your posts!
Bernt
**DIG-IT**

Trashpicker
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image
well let me see if I can figure this out......well, there you go.....now as long as I dont sleep, I can do this again later!!
thanks for the help Tom

Trashpicker.
Edited by Trashpicker, Jan 30 2011, 02:58 PM.
Think Minelab..
Minelab CTX 3030 with Rattler Headset
Minelab Explorer XS with a Sun Ray Probe, 6x8 SEF Coil, Rattler headset
Minelab Explorer II with a Sun Ray Probe,12x15 SEF Coil,Rattler headset
Minelab Explorer SE Pro with a Sun Ray Probe, Rattler headset
Minelab Eureka Gold
Garrett Ace 250 for visitors

BerntOut
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting history in the Knights of Pithias. I had to look it up as I had never heard of thme before. You have made some outstanding recoveries me thinks! Looking forward to meeting hunting with you sometime. I think it will be very rewarding, even if we do not dig anything remarkable.
**DIG-IT**

Trashpicker
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I found three of those metals the same day in the same dump. they are dated 1874. two are the same and one is of the sword. it belonged to the sergant at arms in the organization. pretty cool find. I keep going back to the same spot hoping to find more!!

Thanks for looking, Later Trashpicker

Posted Image
Think Minelab..
Minelab CTX 3030 with Rattler Headset
Minelab Explorer XS with a Sun Ray Probe, 6x8 SEF Coil, Rattler headset
Minelab Explorer II with a Sun Ray Probe,12x15 SEF Coil,Rattler headset
Minelab Explorer SE Pro with a Sun Ray Probe, Rattler headset
Minelab Eureka Gold
Garrett Ace 250 for visitors

AU2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I think resizing photos shoud be addressed too, if you don't resize us old folks who use large setting go crazy.
This is how to resize photos using Microsoft Paint, not the only way but the laymanís way:

• First you need to name and save the photo to your PC, the easiest way to learn is to save the photo to My Documents.
  • Then open Microsoft Paint.
  • When MS Paint opens you should be able to see a tool box menu on the left, if you donít, go to the top and click on the view tab, make sure tool box and color bar boxes are checked.
  • Now on the top of the page and click on file, in the drop box click on open.
  • The open menu will appear, if you donít see the photo, click the drop box tab to the right of the Look In window.
  • In the drop box menu click on My Recent Documents or the file you save the photo to.
  • When My Recent Documents opens double click on the photo and it should open (but it will look very large).
  • Now go back to the top and click the image tab.
  • The drop box file menu will appear, click on stretch/skew tab
  • Now youíre going to shrink the photo down, to do so change the horizontal and vertical numbers from 100, to 30 and then click the OK tab.
  • Now go back to the top and click the file tab again, and then click on the save as tab.
  • When that opens the name of the photo should be highlight next to File name: at the bottom, change that by renaming the photo and then clicking on the save tab.
  • Now youíre done, when you post the photo use the resized one.
  • Let me know if I left something out, or if something isnít understandable.
    [\list]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Resized_Photo_Wasp_2.jpg (54.96 KB)
Attachments: Resized_Screen_Capture.jpg (15.39 KB)
Edited by AU2, Feb 8 2011, 07:22 PM.

Tom in Salinas
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
au2, thanx for the info. I too use "paintshop" image "skew" command, to shrink it down it down from 100x100 to somewhere around 30x30, or 50x50, etc....

However, I lost you at this step:

"Now go back up and click on the Image tab again, then click on the attributes tab, in that drop box make sure that Pixels circle is selected and then change the width to 720 and the height to 450 and then click the OK tab."

What happens if you skip that step, and only just shrink it by 28x28 or whatever? I never do the step you describe here.

AU2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Tom in Salinas
Feb 8 2011, 05:55 PM
au2, thanx for the info. I too use "paintshop" image "skew" command, to shrink it down it down from 100x100 to somewhere around 30x30, or 50x50, etc....

However, I lost you at this step:

"Now go back up and click on the Image tab again, then click on the attributes tab, in that drop box make sure that Pixels circle is selected and then change the width to 720 and the height to 450 and then click the OK tab."

What happens if you skip that step, and only just shrink it by 28x28 or whatever? I never do the step you describe here.

Hi Tom; You are right, but when I resize it's just never right unless I change the Attributes to 720 width and the height to 450, and so that the laymen will know what size to srink the photo to. What do you reccomend I replace it with, or should delete that part? Just write it and it will be done Bro.

Tony

Is that comprehendible?

Thanks
Edited by AU2, Feb 8 2011, 06:40 PM.

Tom in Salinas
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
All I ever do, is: Image, stretch/skew, and then substitute 30x30 in place of 100x100. That shrinks my pix down to about 100 to 150-ish kb. I never do the step you're talking about. So I'm not really understanding what the step is for, to begin with. So I can't really answer your question.

AU2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]

I fix it Tom, good to go now?

Tom in Salinas
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
au2, you're probably more 'puter suave than me. I was just curious what that step did, or what happened if it were left out. So ...... I'm not really sure what's "fixed". No biggee! :)

AgileMJOLNIR
Member Avatar
Mawd-urrr-ayyy-tor
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In regards to the image sizing issue..............

My personal favorite is My Photo Album which is great for batches of pics. Photo Album organizes your pics into a very user friendly album format. You can link via slideshow, album thumbnails or individual pics.

All you have to do is place an order with them once a year. I usually order a few prints for a couple bucks and voila I am good for a year. Storage is either unlimited or is so damn high you'd never fill it unless you're a pro uploading RAW files daily. The format is very friendly on the eyes too with a crisp Black background whcih really make the photos pop to life.

Oh.....and it's sizes them for you to so no fiddling with an unnecessary extra step. Makes posting your finds much more user friendly here.

Here is an example of the easy to view slideshow format I like to use.
SLIDESHOW

..and the thumbnail view
THUMBNAIL
Edited by AgileMJOLNIR, Feb 10 2011, 12:04 PM.
See my mutant KFC Wedge Fry!

CTX 3030 with Wireless Module
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
GoPro Hero 4 and DJI Osmo

Rooster
Member Avatar
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporters
Thanks Tom, finally read your post on how to post pictures, easy money. Rooster
White's V3i and a XLT

boxtopp
I cleaned out Los Banos and off to Lower Lake.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
works great
Edited by boxtopp, Oct 19 2011, 06:37 AM.
Se
mxt
tiger shark

Los Tulares
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Tom,

Just seen this post of yours with pic posting, Before switching to cell phone internet that's how I loaded pics to this forum using a home computer, but with a cell phone can't copy and paste like a home computer can.

I've tried a zillion and one difference ways to get pics to post from a cell phone, hate to open up a land line well actually won't do it can't see myself paying again for both cell and home internet.

Paul

Compass GoldScanner Pro, Compass AU52, Compass AU2000, Compass 77B & 77B Automatic , FisherScope T-10X,

JW.
Member Avatar
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporters
Paul, post up the name and model of the phone you have, someone here will likely know how to get it to work!!!

MARBLEMAN
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
it workedPosted Image
Finder of Lost Marbles!!!

carcur
[ *  * ]
pic
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_0444.jpg (70.2 KB)
CTX and one five dollar gold coin

One Eyed Pirate
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Tom in Salinas
Jan 28 2011, 03:26 PM
A few of you have asked how to get your pix to show up in the post, w/o the readers having to click on the link, to open. Well...... we normally charge $20 for how to access this "secret James Bond method", but for you guys ..... it's gonna be free today!! :comfort:

This assumes you've already figured out how to use the forum's own attachment/browse function. Therefore, you already have your pix on there, yet it's in the form of a link that readers must further click on.

Here's what you do: load up as you normally would. Then click on your own picture. Once you do that, you'll be looking at your own picture, via the forum's server, right? Now notice at your top address box, is the actual address of that picture, in the server location of where it's at, right? Ie.: "http://blah blah.....". Click into that box, and highlight the entire address of that. Then right click, and "copy" it. (or you can simply write down the address on scratch paper temporarily).

Next, go back to your post. Click "edit", so you can change your own post. Insert ("paste") that same address link you've captured, wherever .... in your text .... you intend for the picture to appear. Add this to the beginning of the address though: [img] And then add this, to the end of that address: [/img] Now click that you are done editing, and return to the forum.

Now when you go click on your post, your pix will be there.

A word to the wise though: Get your pix down to about 100 to 200 kb-ish. I use paint shop program on my computer to do this. The "stretch/skew" command, and just tell it shrink the pix by 30% x 30%. There are other programs (photshop, etc...). If you need help doing that, let us know, and someone can chime in with better instruction for that part. Because dig. cameras nowadays tend to make them 1.2 or 1.4 mb, etc... The reason is, so that in case the person taking the pix, intends to have it blown up full size or whatever. But this leaves them way too large for a forum like this, with no internal correcting fail-safes.

Hope that helps everyone who's been asking. Practice on the "testing" section of this forum, to make sure you got it down pat.
Thanks Tom!! Worked like a charm.

Dreams
Member Avatar
Dreams
[ *  *  * ]
I've been pulling my hair out all morning trying to make my photos the size to fit.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tom in Salinas
Member Avatar
GMOAP
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dreams, I see your 400 to 700k pix. And yes, those are kinda big for the viewer/reader.

Here's how I shrink mine to a modest 100 to 150-ish KB:

When viewing your own pix on your own 'puter, right click. That should bring up a menu, one option of which is: "open with". Hover over that, and that gives you an expanded menu, one option of which is "paint". Choose that. Once your pix is in paint, there is a command "stretch/skew" aka "re-size". Choose that. Then in the re-size option slot, I put in about 27 x 27, or 30 x 30, etc.... Click "ok". Then when you go to click out of that box, it'll ask you "do you want to save this?" Click "yes". Then your pix will now be down to less than 200kb. If it still seems too big, you can repeat the above instructions, but this time choosing to re-size 80x80, or whatever.

Then when you've gotten all your pix down to 150-ish, you can do the instructions @ this pinned post, to get your pix to show within the post.

Congratz on the gold coin !

Dreams
Member Avatar
Dreams
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Tom, I will try that. I'm just not real good with stuff like that. I might have to get one of my boys to help me.
I sure was blessed to have found the Double Eagle.
Dan
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Help for Beginners · Next Topic »
Add Reply